Started a new watercolor painting. This one is of an old beautiful antique wheel I found in the desert hills up above Sedona, Arizona. The hub is steel and spokes were once made of wooden limbs.
This first step was done entire with a light wash of Burnt Sienna. I put a couple of ounces of water in a small cup and mixed in a squirt of color. Much of the area that received the wash will eventually be much darker. This initial step was done simply to establish locations of the major forms and shadows. Next I’ll start the high lights on the hub.
Here in the second session I have further defined and darkened some of the major shapes and shadow areas. Color is slowly built up while the lightest areas of the painting are left untouched.
Here’s how the painting looks after a few 2 to 3 hours sessions. It’s fun painting the wooden organic shapes against the industrial iron works.
Had to make sure the bolts were drawn in accurately before tackling the detail on the front hub.
Above is the photo I took of the logging truck while visiting a local motorcycle repair shop. The owner had several old antique logging vehicles on his property. I thought they were worthy of a painting.
Below is a gallery of shots depicting the process or steps I am using to achieve the final paining. The painting is ongoing so come back often to check out my progress. So far, so good.
Here are the colors used: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Light, Indian Yellow, Cadmium Red Deep, Alizarin Crimson, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber, Raw Umber, Hooker’s Green Light, Hooker’s Green Deep, Phthalo blue, Ultramarine Blue, Payne’s Grey.
I’m back onto my painting horse. Close to my home there is a motorcycle shop called, Smokers-N-Strokers. They are a bunch of great guys that repair, build, and refurbish motorcycles, Harley Davidsons in particular.
On the property there are several old antique logging machines resting and rusting gently in the vegetation. Below is my latest work of one of the machines, painted from a photograph I took. Sorry for the watermark. Enjoy!
Here’s the process of how the project was completed.